Lung cancer is the most common type of cancer in the world. In the United States it is the type of cancer responsible for more deaths than any other.
This article provides a brief overview of some key aspects of lung cancer. The signs, causes, prevention and treatment of this disease. Then, for those who want more info, we link to a number of articles related to lung cancer. These answer some of the more common questions people have about it.
First up, let’s look at the common signs to look out for when it comes to lung cancer.
Signs Of Lung Cancer
There are a number of symptoms that may be a sign of lung cancer. Some of the main ones are:
- A New Cough That Won’t Go Away
- Shortness Of Breath
- Chest Pain (that gets worse with deep breathing, coughing, etc.)
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Feelings of Fatigue and Weakness
- Losing Weight (Without Trying)
- Coughing Up Blood or Phlegm
Please note that any of these signs could also be signs of other health issues. If you have concerns about one or more of these symptoms, seek medical attention.
What Causes Lung Cancer?
Smoking. Smoking. And Smoking. That is by far the number one cause of lung cancer. But it is not the only one. Here is a list of the top causes of lung cancer.
- Second Hand Smoke Exposure
- Radon Gas Exposure
- Asbestos Exposure
- Family History Of Lung Cancer
Unfortunately, there is no magic formula that is available to prevent lung cancer. However, there are things you can do to minimize your risk of developing it. Here are some suggestions to lower your risk:
- Stop Smoking (Or if you don’t smoke, don’t start!)
- Stay away from secondhand smoke
- Test your home for radon and/or asbestos (if appropriate)
- Do what you can to minimize your exposure to toxic chemicals and/or other carcinogens at work
- Pay attention to your diet and exercise routine – countless studies how the benefits of a good diet and exercise regimen in reducing the risks of all types of cancer
Lung Cancer Treatments
There are a number of different treatments for lung cancer. Which ones are right for you or your loved one depends on the type of lung cancer and how far it has spread in the lungs.
Some of the common types of treatments that doctors give patients are:
- Readiation therapy
- Targeted therapy
There are also alternative forms of treatment that some people try. This include:
- Magnet therapy
- Megadose vitamins
- Special diets
These alternative treatments have not been thoroughly tested and can do more harm than good. Be sure you do your research and talk to your doctor before you try any of these.
Additional Information and Articles
The above barely scratches the surface on what there is to know about lung cancer. If you would like to dig deeper into some other topics about this deadly disease, here are some links to articles that address common questions people have about lung cancer.
A good place to get started is this article with a number of facts about this disease.
Costs for treatment is an issue for everyone. You can learn about average treatment costs here.
You can also learn about a number of different treatment options such as proton therapy, immunotherapy and Tarceva. Also, since chemotherapy is a common treatment, here’s an article on what to expect after this treatment.